I haven’t done a recipe post in a long time – woohoo! Gettin’ crazy on a Friday night. I got this recipe from my mama – I loved it growing up, now my hubs and daughter love it too. It’s a good one for a cozy fall night.
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 cup ketchup
4 oz American cheese, sliced
Box Jiffy Corn Mix (plus the egg and milk it calls for)
And for the topping
14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350. Cook ground beef and onion in skillet till the beef is browned. Drain fat.
2. Combine beef and onion mixture with ketchup. Spread evenly in 8×8 baking dish.
3. Lay slices of cheese over beef. Make sure you slice the cheese thin enough you can cover the whole thing – it will melt better too (mine was a bit too thick).
4. Prepare cornbread mix according to the box, spread over the top.
Bake for 25 mins or until the cornbread is done (I use the ol’ toothpick to check). Take out of the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes.
5. During the five mins, combine the topping ingredients in a medium saucepan and heat and stir till bubbly and slightly thickened. If your family is big on toppings, you might want to make two batches of the tomato mixture.
Serve up and top with tomato mixture – yum yum!!
You can see my mama’s post I got this from here: http://recipes2good2b4gotten.com/page/2